Featured Headline News

IPOB: Nnamdi Kanu pleads not guilty to amended charges

The detained leader of the proscribed group, the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu has arrived the Federal High Court in Abuja for re-arraignment.

Nnamdi Kanu, has pleaded not guilty to the seven amended charges preferred against him by the Federal Government.

Kanu, who was re-arraigned at the Federal High Court in Abuja on Thursday, said he was innocent of all the allegations levelled against him.

When the charges were read to him, he pleaded not guilty.

In the course of the hearing, the court refused his application for transfer to Kuje Correctional Centre from the DSS facility where he has been held.

However, the trial judge, Justice Binta Nyako, allowed three persons of his choice to visit him at the DSS facility.

The judge then adjourned the case to November 10 to hear his application, challenging the competence of the charges.

The Federal Government recently amended the charges against him raising them to seven counts as against the five counts he was previously being tried for. The new charges border on treasonable felony and terrorism.

He was brought into the courtroom amid heavy security.

DSS officials had earlier set up a barricade at the entrance of the Federal High Court where the case is to be heard and they prevented reporters and officials from gaining entry, resulting in angry scenes and arguments.

He is expected to take his fresh plea before trial Justice Binta Nyako.

Meanwhile, Kanu’s US-based lawyer, Bruce Fein has arrived at the court with his lead counsel, Ifeanyi Ejiofor.

Other lawyers, journalists and representatives of apex Igbo socio-cultural group, Ohaneze Ndigbo worldwide and a former governor of Anambra State, Chief Chukwuemeka Ezeife were barred from entering the court premises

This comes three days after the Federal Government filed seven amended charges bordering on treasonable felony and acts of terrorism against him.

Kanu, who is also a British citizen, was detained in Kenya in June and returned to Nigeria to continue his trial.

Reporting by Ifeoma Nwovu; Editing by Omotola Oguneye