Head of Sudan’s ruling council, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan has announced on Monday a state of emergency across the country and the dissolution of the transitional sovereign council and the government.
General Abdel Fattah Burhan, who had been heading a joint council with civilian leaders, attributed the crisis to political infighting.
According to BBC, protesters took to the streets of the capital, Khartoum, and there are reports of gunfire.
Although the country remains in a deep economic crisis, there had been more external support and a military takeover will put that hugely at risk.
Prime Minister, Abdallah Hamdok was reported to have been put under house arrest, along with members of his cabinet and other civilian leaders.
It also said Mr Hamdok was being pressed to support a coup but was refusing to do so and he urged people to continue with peaceful protests to “defend the revolution”.
General Burhan has been heading the Sovereign Council, part of a power-sharing arrangement between military and civilian leaders.
In a televised address, he said infighting between politicians, ambition and incitement to violence had forced him to act to protect the safety of the nation and to “rectify the revolution’s course”.
He said Sudan was committed to international accords and the transition to civilian rule, with elections planned for July 2023.