Featured Headline Lagos News Nigeria

Owner of collapsed Ikoyi building confirmed dead

Femi Osibona, the Chief Executive Officer of Fourscore Homes Limited, has died.

Osibona is the proprietor of the firm that built the 21-story skyscraper that fell on Monday in Ikoyi, Lagos.

According to rescuers who spoke to Daily Trust, his body was discovered from the rubble.

Concerns have been raised concerning Osibona’s location, as well as the whereabouts of Wale Bob-Oseni, his companion, and others stuck in the structure.

Bob-Oseni, who was scheduled to fly to the United States, made a brief detour to visit the project at the developer’s request but did not make it out alive.

Two days ago, the body of Osibona’s personal aide was discovered.

38 bodies recovered

At least 38 bodies have been recovered from the wreckage, according to the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA).

On Monday, a high-rise building in Ikoyi, Lagos, collapsed, and only 9 people were rescued.

The corpses of 35 men and 3 women have been recovered from the rubble. Two bodies were retrieved in the morning.

No one has been found alive since Tuesday morning.

A security cordon has grown bigger, along with the number of soldiers and police officers.

Personnel were pumping oxygen and water into the site in case any survivors remained, and machines were occasionally paused to carry out a sound search, in which workers scream out for survivors and wait to hear a response.

Impartial panel

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu said the cause of the collapse was unknown, but there were violations, such as not keeping a daily log of the workers on the site.

He said he has put together an impartial panel and given them 30 days to provide their findings.

During a ceremony at the State Waterways Authority, Falomo, the Governor signed an executive bill to give the panel legal backing.

He said no stone would be left unturned in the pursuit of justice and justice.

A minute of silence was observed in memory of those who died.

The Governor and members of the commission went to the site of the collapsed building immediately after the Inauguration to assess the ongoing search and rescue operation.

Reporting by Omolara Omosanya, editing by Saadatu Albashir