The National Examinations Council (NECO) has withheld the results of candidates for the 2021 Internal Senior Secondary Certificate Examination.
The council said it would not release the results until state governments pay outstanding examination fees.
NECO’s Registrar, Prof. Dantani Wushishi, told journalists in Minna in October that 8 northern states owe the examination body N1.8bn.
This he explained was a result of debt accumulated by governments that pledge to pay examination fees for their indigenous students but failed to do so.
A statement from its Head of Information and Public Relations Division, Azeez Sani, NECO announced the publication of the results of the 2021 SSCE for school-based applicants on October 29, 2021.
Meanwhile, the council said ad-hoc staff for 2021 SSCE for school-based applicants had been compensated in full.
According to a statement, the workforce consisted of 18,243 supervisors, 887 assistant supervisors, and 65,159 examiners.
Reporting by Daniel Adejo; Editing by Saadatu Albashir