FRCN HQ
Africa Featured Headline News Security World News

Update: Burkina Faso soldiers announce takeover

Soldiers in Burkina Faso announced over state television Monday that they had seized power in the West African nation and dissolved its government and parliament.

They also said they had closed the country’s borders and promised a “return to constitutional order” within a “reasonable time”.

According to the announcement, “President Roch Kabore had been deposed, the constitution had been suspended, that the government and national legislature had been dissolved, and the country’s borders had been blocked.”

The announcement blamed the worsening security situation and Kabore’s incapacity to unite the West African nation and properly respond to the difficulties it faced, including an Islamist insurgency.

The announcement, signed by Lieutenant Colonel Paul-Henri Sandaogo Damiba and delivered on state television by another officer, stated that the takeover was peaceful and that those detained were being held in a secure place.

President Roch Kabore arrested by mutinous soldiers

Earlier in the day, The President of Burkina Faso, Roch Kaboré, has reportedly been detained by mutinying soldiers.

Some troops in the West African nation have demanded the sacking of military chiefs and more resources to fight Islamist militants.

Gunfire had been heard overnight near the presidential palace and at barracks in the capital, Ouagadougou.

The government on Sunday denied suggestions of a military coup or that the president was under arrest.

President Kaboré was detained at a military camp by mutinying soldiers, foreign media reports say.

Video from the capital appears to show armoured vehicles – reportedly used by the presidency – peppered with bullet holes and abandoned in the street.

Mobile internet services have been disrupted, though fixed-line internet and domestic wi-fi are working. Soldiers have also surrounded the state television headquarters and there was no live programming on Monday.

BBC reporter Simon Gongo says a sense of normality has returned to the streets. No further shooting can be heard, and people and cars are moving through the city.

A crowd has gathered in front of the president’s private residence, he says, wanting to understand what happened during the night.

With no official comment from the military or the government, people are anxiously waiting for an official statement on the situation, our reporter says.

On Sunday, hundreds of people came out in support of the soldiers and some of them set fire to the ruling party’s headquarters. A night-time curfew has since been imposed.

The president’s location is unknown, but AFP news agency quoted security sources as saying that he and other government ministers are at the Sangoulé Lamizana barracks in the capital.

There has been no communication from President Kaboré himself since Sunday night, when he posted to social media congratulating the national football team on their win in an African Cup of Nations match

Writing by Daniel Adejo; Editing by Abdullahi Lamino