Four corpses have been recovered from a building that collapsed on Saturday in the Yaba area of Lagos State, even as the property developer was arrested by the authorities.
The recovered bodies belonged to some of the workers at the building site at NO.16 Akanbi Crescent.
Two workers, however, survived the incident.
According to the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), only one of the two surviving workers was trapped in the rubble.
The other, it said, was a teenage boy who had been fortunate to escape the accident when he left the site to buy food for himself.
Initially, rescue operations were suspended but resumed on Sunday, following indications that some persons might still be trapped in the rubble.
Meanwhile, the Lagos State Government has reported the arrest of the developer of the property.
In a statement on its official Twitter handle late Saturday, it said the developer was arrested for breaking the government seal on the property and “violating the stop-work order”.
“The developer in charge of the site has since been arrested and handed over to the RRS Team, while rescue operation is ongoing,” the statement added.
Saturday’s incident is the latest in the rising cases of building collapse in Lagos State. In November, at least 40 persons were killed following the collapse of a high-rise in the Ikoyi area of the commercial city.
Editing by Tola Oguneye and Tony Okerafor