Eight years after being kidnapped by Boko Haram insurgents, the Theatre Command Operation Hadin Kai presented the two recently rescued Chibok girls to the media.
They were rescued with their babies, both of whom are about two years old.
Hauwa Joseph and Mary Dauda told journalists at a brief event at the Command-and-Control Centre Maimalari Cantonment that they had been married off to Boko Haram fighters for years and that there are still other Chibok girls in the Sambisa Forest.
They thanked the military for rescuing them after being held captive by Boko Haram for eight years.
The girls were rescued as a result of massive military operations in Sambisa Forest, Mandara Mountain, and the Lake Chad area, according to Theatre Commander Major General Christopher Musa, who assured that the remaining abducted would be rescued.
The General Officer Commanding GOC Seven Division Nigerian Army Major General Waidi Shaibu said the girls, rescued between June 12 and 14, have received necessary medical attention and would be handed over to the appropriate authorities shortly.
Boko Haram kidnapped 276 female students aged 16 to 18 from the Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok, Borno State, in April 2014.
Over 100 of the girls were still missing as of 14 April 2021, seven years after the initial kidnapping.
Reporting by Dauda Iliya; Editing by Saadatu Albashir