President Muhammadu Buhari says efforts have been stepped up to secure the release of those who were kidnapped on the Abuja-Kaduna train.
In March, bandits kidnapped more than 50 passengers on a train bound for Kaduna after attacking it with explosives.
Eleven people were released earlier this month.
In a statement on Tuesday, presidential spokesperson Garba Shehu said the federal government was “making all efforts to trace and bring back the 51 or more people still being held in captivity.”
He said the government was continuing to use both kinetic and non-kinetic methods to ensure the passengers’ safe release.
The kidnappers demanded the release of their own children, and when that issue was resolved, they let go eleven of the victims, despite the fact that more were expected, “The setback notwithstanding, the government is not leaving any stone unturned in the efforts to bring all of the hostages back,” according to the statement.
“The country’s military and security agencies are aware of their responsibilities to the nation and are determined to carry out the President’s directive with vigour,” he said.
He added that, “the president has stated unequivocally that the hostages must be returned alive.”
Writing by Saadatu Albashir