On March 1, 2023 the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), declared Asiwaju Bola Tinubu as the winner of the 2023 presidential election.
Some state governments have withdrawn a lawsuit from the Supreme Court that sought to nullify Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s emergence as Nigeria’s president-elect.
A Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Chief Mike Ozekhome, who filed the action on behalf of six opposition states plus Taraba, said his chambers withdrew the suit because it had been overridden by events.
The seven states who instituted the suit through their Attorney-Generals were; Adamawa, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Delta, Edo, Taraba and Sokoto.
In a statement, Mr Ozekhome says the Supreme Court suit between the seven states and filed during the flawed manual collation of results contrary to the provisions of the Electoral Act, the INEC Guidelines and Regulations and the manual for INEC officials, has been discontinued due to the fact that the results has been announced and a President-elect declared.
Having been overtaken by events, Chief Ozekhome further states that the matter will be taken to the Presidential Election Petitions Tribunal which was the traditional channel for resolving election disputes in the country.
Writing by Ifeoma Nwovu; Editing by Muzha Kucha and Annabel Nwachukwu