Charges have been dropped against Alec Baldwin in the fatal on-set “Rust” shooting, according to sources familiar with the matter.
65-year-old Baldwin, had been charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter after fatally shooting cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, 42, on the New Mexico set of the Western in October 2021.
The actor was practicing a cross-draw when the gun fired, striking the cinematographer and director Joel Souza, who suffered a non-life-threatening injury.
Luke Nikas and Alex Spiro who are attorneys for the actor said in a statement that “We are pleased with the decision to dismiss the case against Alec Baldwin and we encourage a proper investigation into the facts and circumstances of this tragic accident”.
Baldwin’s next court appearance in the case had been set for May 3 but the actor already waived his right to appear at the preliminary hearing as he had pleaded not guilty to the charges in a court filing.
The film’s armorer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, was also charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter over Hutchins’ death.
Gun enhancement charges filed in the case against both Baldwin and Gutierrez-Reed were dropped in late February of this year.
Gutierrez-Reed has been scheduled to appear at a preliminary hearing starting on May 3 while her attorney said, she intends to plead not guilty and also added that she has no idea how live rounds ended up in the gun.
Her attorneys confirmed on Thursday she still faces charges, saying in a statement that they “fully expect at the end of this process that Hannah will also be exonerated.”
Writing by Tersoo Nicholas