Nigerian students in Sudan queued to board buses to Egypt enroute to Nigeria. Photo: Twitter
Nigeria’s Foreign Affairs Ministry says it has begun the process of evacuating stranded Nigerians in conflict trapped Sudan.
This came after Wednesday’s Federal Executive Council, FEC, meeting were Geoffrey Onyeama, told State House Correspondents that, the Ministry had secured the authorisation of the Sudanese Government to that effect.
The Minister disclosed that they had been able to hire about 40 luxury busses, but however added it might take a couple of days to complete the exercise.
Also, the Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Zubairu Dada said the DG, National Emergency Management Agency and other relevant staff of the parastatal were already in Egypt to receive the evacuees at the border with Sudan.
Ambassador Dada who confirmed that no Nigerian life has been lost so far, said aircraft at Aswan border would be provided to convey them back home.
He said other officials have been coordinating the movement of other Nigerians heading towards the Ethiopian border.
Reporting by Abdullah Bello, Editing by Tersoo Nicholas and Annabel Nwachukwu