Director General of NEMA Mustapha Ahmed during the press briefing. Photo: Archive/Radio/Nigeria
The Director General of the National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA Mustapha Ahmed says no Nigerian was lost in the evacuation of citizens from Sudan.
Mr. Ahmed gave the clarification in Abuja at a news briefing on Sunday.
He said a total of 2,518 Nigerians were evacuated in 15 flights from the war-torn Sudan in a dignified manner.
According to the NEMA DG, 23 evacuees were sick out of which 10 have been treated while 13 refered to hospitals.
Justifying the allocation for the exercise, Mr. Ahmed said the lives of Nigerians were worth more than the funds expended.
He said nine dollars was spent on moving each Nigerian from the crisis area, while 25 dollars was paid for each of them to get into Egypt for evacuation.
Mr. Ahmed explained that the evacuation had been concluded, describing the exercise as successful.
On the claim of 160 women still left in that country, the NEMA DG said only those profiled and ascertained to be Nigerians were evacuated to avoid importing unwanted people into the country.
He expressed gratitude to President Muhammad Buhari and other stakeholders for a seamless evacuation of Nigerians from Sudan.
Reporting by Tersoo Zamber, Editing by Chinasa Ossai and Annabel Nwachukwu